Friday, September 11, 2009

Garden

Here are some photos of our garden. This year the army set aside some property for us gardeners in the desert behind some of the houses. So we get to have a garden only a few blocks from our house instead of a few miles. It has been nice just to walk to it instead of drive. There are 5 of us out there. When we first started our garden I felt like a pioneer tilling up the desert with nothing but sagebrush and rattlesnakes around us, not knowing if anything would grow. But as with the pioneers, with a little bit of love and care it grew. It did really well this year.
You can barely see the kids heads poking out behind the huge tomato plants.
Our sunflowers got huge this year. The tallest one is about 12 feet!
We grew a section of corn this year because we are sharing it with some friends. It is sooooo good. We have already froze 24 quarts. It is going to be good eating this year at the Ussing house!
When we planted we accidently planted the zuchinni inbetween two rows of corn. But they didn't mind and the plant got huge.

We got smart this year and had our cucumbers climb up metal fencing so we didn't end up with a sea of cucumbers again. It worked really well.
This is a huge cucumber that we picked.



Here are just some cute pictures that I have taken lately.
JT's started his first day of preschool on the 1st of this month. I let him ride his bike while I followed with Lindee in the stroller. Then Lindee and I went for a little walk. I don't know what to do with myself with only 1 kid.
Sisters on bath night!
JT got in the picture too. Luke must have still been in the shower.
Lindee is getting so big and looks so cute in pigtails.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Holy cow Sarah! Your garden is AMAZING!!! We are hoping to do a garden next year, now that we know what kinds of plants we have where after moving in last January. Seeing yours makes me excited for ours next year. If it's half as good as yours I'll be happy!

Elder and Sister Howard said...

One of you (or maybe all of you) have a green thumb! You have had great gardens every year. If there is anything left in it the first of October, bring some to Rexburg. Mom/Grandma Susie